Region: Leicester Diocesan Guild Church Bell Ringers
The work of the Leicester Diocesan Guild Church Bell Ringers covers the whole of the Leicester Diocese of the Church of England. The Leicester Diocesan Guild was formed in 1946 from part of the Midland Counties Association. It currently has more than 700 members spread across six regions or districts as they are known: Hinckley, Leicester, Loughborough, Market Harborough, Melton Mowbray & Syston.
The Leicester Diocesan Guild Church Bell Ringers aims to:
- promote ringing of church bells for religious services
- advance the art of change-ringing with frequent meetings of members of the Guild
- extend the appreciation of change-ringing among the general public
- ensure that church bells are maintained in proper condition
- provide instructors in the art of change ringing
- teach good striking – the ability to ring one bell after the previous one
- provide funding for maintaining and improving bells through the Bell Restoration Fund.
- Website: (history page) www.standard8.plus.com/ulscr/index.html
The University of Leicester Society of Change Ringers is currently in abeyance due to ‘student churn’. The best point of contact is Andrew Young: . Undergraduate ringers are very welcome at S Peter, Oadby which is the closest tower to the main Halls of Residence. Oadby also managed a quarter with a University band (past and present students & staff) recently. Suitable towers are:
|St Mary Magd, Knighton (8 bells, 10-2-8): Mondays|
|S Peter, Oadby (8 bells, 12-3-15): Tuesday 19:30-21:00|
|St Andrew, Aylestone (8 bells, 15-3-21): Wednesdays|
|Leicester Cathedral (12 bells, 25-0-20): Thursday 7:45-9:00|
|All Saints, Wigston Magna (8 bells, 16-0-11): Friday 20:00 (2nd & 4th) 5th by arr|
- Website: Loughborough District of the Leicester Diocesan Guild
Students at Loughborough are warmly welcomed to Oaks-in-Charnwood (Monday 19:30) and All Saints, Loughborough Parish Church (Wednesday 19:30 & Sunday 9:45-10:30). As well as catering for wide range of abilities, from teaching learners to handle a bell through to spliced surprise, we also enjoy many social activities. Whether you are an existing ringer or wish to learn to ring, you will be guaranteed a warm welcome.
Please contact Sally Brown, or 07891 380431, for further information.
|Oaks-in-Charnwood, Mon 19.30-21:00|
|All Saints, Loughborough, Wed 19.30-21:00|